Tuesday 13 October 2009

Sometimes Technology is just crap

Was going to post last night but as per usual just when I want to use it the internet decided to play up, sometimes I swear technology is self aware, it only seems to pack up just when you really need it.

Okay Sunday was a good day, busy weekend need a rest now but unfortunately straight back into work. Had a great session yesterday, managed to get a 3 mile run in after I got back in from work which really helped to make me feel positive and shook out the cobwebs of a long drive. I have never enjoyed running, even when I was in the Army running was always my least favourite activity. I can't say I have grown to enjoy it but I can tolerate it and it is improving my cardio resistance which is why I am doing it as part of my fitness routine.

After the run I had to jump in the car to pick up  my eldest daughter from swimming, so by the time I got hoem I had about 5 mins to cram some food down me before it was off to training. Really enjoyed the session on pattern breakdown, it really helped to demystify the whole process and taking some ofthe lower grades really made me have to think how to put forward some of the key concepts:

* You don't need to focus on the formal move or how you got to the position
* If it feels right then it usually is a valid application
* Get a student to remain static in a position and then move around the student adopting different positions, this then makes the student asses what attack or defence they codul adopt in any given position.

Masters was also really good as I enjoy the self defence stuff and takedowns are always good when you have a group. Being able to think about how to deal with takedowns effectively opens the subject up:

* Think about control of the opponent when they are on the floor
* Use pain as a control element and support that with a strong purposeful command to the opponent directing them what you want to do e.g. relax the arm, I am going to roll you over etc.
* One of the ideas behind the control element is to enable you to assess the situation and decide your exit strategy under control.

I am going to stop now as I am in a conference session (not too relevent hence the post) but I should listen in.

No comments:

Post a Comment