Sunday 25 October 2009

Really good end to the week

This weekend has been pretty good all round really, yesterday was a bit of a mixture of massive frustration and near computercide and then a trip up the motorway for a family get together.The only downside being that I hadn't eaten any dinner as I thought there was going to be plenty of food and the reality was a pretty limited buffet that didn't come out until 9pm and had to feed over 60 people.

Not to worry though today was a cracking day, started off with about 1 min lie in as the kids don't have a setting to turn their clocks back and then got on with my monthly fitness test. Was really happy with the results, which I have posted on the Academy forum, and it just set the rest of the day up as a good one. Had my mum and sister (plus kids) over for Eleanors family party and had decided after such a good performance on the fitness test to just have a day off from healthy eating, but I have to admit I feel like I have eaten my entire monthly salt allowance in one afternoon.

One thing I haven't mentioned in these blogs so far is the idea I have been having about taking up Master Olpins Black Belt challenge. To date I have been looking to get involved with something that has a positive impact on the community at large and to that end have applied to become a Trustee of Shelter Cymru, a Welsh Homelessness Cahrity based in Cardiff. I am off for an interview in a week or so after visiting them a couple of weeks ago to see what they did and wether I woudl be interested in becoming a trustee member. Hopefully the interview will go well and if so may well join the board around Xmas time. To me this is really embracing the entire idea of what it is to be a Black Belt and the sorts of things you need to consider if you really want to wholeheartedly get something positive from the whole BB experience. It's not something for everyboday as we all have different reasons for getting on the BB journey but for me this isn't simply about chasing a belt. I have no illusions that on one day attaining the rank of BB that I will suddenly have access to some mystical wisdom beyond my years. I am looking to have a lifelong interest in Martial Arts as a way to maintian fitness and feel like I belong to a group of like minded individuals.

Thats enough of the preachy stuff, not sure how many people actually read this, I'm off now to avoid a horde of screaming girls who Michelle foolishly allowed to have a sleepover (I feel a Marathon Company of Heroes session could be in order)

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant stuff, doing charity work at committee level. I've been on several committees (fairly low key stuff so far) and hoping to step it up a bit once my dissertation is done. I'm fully with you on the life-long aspect of MA as I am really not as interested in belt colour as in the "colour of my soul" if I can put it that way. Of course, it's important that I have discipline for such an approach to life and this is where the physical discipline of MA comes in.

    ReplyDelete