Monday 15 March 2010

Where has all the time gone?

Wow, nearly a week has gone by without a post, does that mean nothing has happened, far from it! The past week has been a real blur, a combination of the impending black belt grading, family issues and a massive problem blowing up at work has meant that I have been so focussed on dealing with lots of bush fires that I have not been able to sit back and catch my breath. Funnily enough the other issues are pushing any nervousness to the background concerning the grading on Sunday, I just have to put things into perspective really. This perspective comes full circle really to the whole point of this blog, which was to show a fairly 'average' persons last 5-6 months of training prior to taking a a black belt test. As with anything that is worth doing I of course am apprehensive about Sunday, questions like, have I done enough, did I focus on the right things, am I actually good enough constantly roll around the head and pop up usually after I have dealt with some other crisis.

Looking back and asking myself "Did I do everything I could have done to ensure I am fully prepared for my black belt?" the honest answer has to be no. I could have trained every day, I could have spent time every day looking at the theory behind the art, I could have employed any number of extra training methods to ensure I would arrive at my grading supremely confident that I would be able to pass a black belt grading. If I alter the question to "With all my other responsibilities and looking at the issues that have affected me have I done the best I could to prepare" I think my answer would be a cautious and qualified "Yes" A cautious yes because I think it would be unfair to use external matters as some sort of crutch or excuse before I step into dojang and qualified through all the postings I have made over the past months. There is always more that can be done, and at times I have just not done something, I recognise that as human nature and something that needs to be constantly recognised and checked. Hopefully through this blog and through postings on the Academy forum I have highligted my failures and faced them rather than shieing away from them. I have prevaricated at times but looking back over the last few months I am extremely proud of what I have achieved so far, I have lost just one pound shy of 1 and a half stones, I have slashed my 1 1/2 mile from 13 minutes to below 10 mins 30 secs, I have learnt another pattern, Choong Moo, studied and learnt more about the history and background to Tae KwonDo and had the opportunity to work with other students to assist and guide where required. All in all a pretty good time I think, 6 months ago I had already envisaged what my final week before grading was going to be like, fairly relaxed, just picking up a few loose ends and getting myself mentally prepared, however life never goes to plan (one of the most important life lessons to learn, no plan survives first contact!) this week I have 5 critical issues at work, my wife's mum will hopefully be coming out of hospital this week (great news but Michelle has to stay with her 24 hrs a day for the next 10-14 days so I have to somehow juggle looking after the kids, getting to school etc) ensure that my father in law is comfortable in the care homw and that I get out to visit him as well. All of this as well as ensuring I get to all sessions this week so that I can be satisfied that demo's are all set and that I am happy with my basics, 1,2 & 3 step and my patterns are at a good level, phew, its only 9.30am on Monday and I am exhausted already.

KAIZEN!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading Dale Carnegie's "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living". In Chapter 1, he quotes from the Bible (I'm using a more modern translation than he did):

    Matthew Chapter 6 Verse 34: "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today."

    What is interesting to me is that it is immediately after this verse (33) which is probably better known: "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

    I interpret this as follows: set your sights (i.e. goals) in the right place and your deeds will follow automatically. As far as I can tell, your goal to become a black belt shines from you like a beacon. No matter what happens between now and grading, your mind and body will know what to do when the testing comes.

    Now if I could just follow this advice myself ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers John, throughout the whole journey to date you have always had something interesting, relevant and most importantly motivational to say. I'm looking forward to you coming back to training where you are sorely missed, when are you back?

    Hope all is well with the Uni work, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah there's a big John shaped hole in the lines at the mo, really looking forward to seeing you back in class soon John!

    ReplyDelete