Monday 30 November 2009

Negative into a positive

Still not feeling 100% and rather than moping about because I am missing training I am going to take my instructors advice and do something related to the MA. Tonight I am going to do some research into the history behind the use of patterns in Okinowan Karate as it was something Rich mentioned a few weeks ago in class and it sounds like an interesting subject to explore a bit more.

Due to my stomach problems I haven't done any exercise and my appetite is all over the place, I am trying to keep a positive mental attitiude but each day lost due to either work or illness is a day less to train or work on the things I need to achieve. I was reading a fellow black belt candidate's forum posts yesterday and I share her frustration and concern that time is slipping away, as I am away tomorrow in Newcastle I am again going to use the time away for a positive action so will look at taking my pattern breakdown folder and do some work on that as well.

I get concerned, especially when I cannot do my exercise as I know how easy it is to get out of a routine and how much effort (especially at a really busy time of the year both personally and professionally) is required to get back on track. Will need to ensure I am on the forum as well to try and keep in touch with the other students.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, routines are hard to get into, especially when you've never been in them, like with my dissertation. It's easy to find distractions all over the place but it's also very satisfying to complete a *planned* task. Today at work, I started with a Big Rock in the morning and finished it by 3pm - wonderful stuff! Tomorrow, I'll do another. Both of these have been hanging over my head for more than 7 days and its good to toss them over my shoulder. However, distraction looms and I need to keep my wits about me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work isn't so bad for me as its something that has to be done to pay the bills, its just that it isnt a nine to five job. I get more concerned over my fitness and MA training as it is more difficult to keep a consistent programme. I have been trying this week to ensure that as I can't physically train to at least do some theory work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One idea when you can't do your regular training is to devise a little set of 'short-shar-shock' routines. 5 mins tops, just quick intensive little bursts of energy, like my suggested 150 reps of a few months back.

    If you come up with a few different ones, write them out on a small card (one routine per card) and then just pick one at random and do it. 5 minute energiser, job done.

    ReplyDelete