Sunday 1 November 2009

Some thoughts so far...

I was hoping when I started this blog to get some interesting comments and interaction from other students in the school but perhaps that was rather niave. I think people believe that doing training is more of a personal thing and that we all just get on with it. I would like to state that I personally believe that training in any endeavor worthwhile of your time and efforts usually involves a strong element of teamwork. This belief is borne out by many things in my life but especially mith my 10 years in the military, it is only through personal effort that challenges are started but most likely it is down to the encouragement and support of others that they are completed successfully. Even the solo yachtsman or woman has a support team that helps them through the rough times, the times when they just want to jack it all in and go home, that is what I believe is going to help me through my journey to black belt. I have many challenges in my life every day, busy job, hectic family life and to make sure I keep the motivation high for my training I need the support of others, I try to support and help others in the school and this blog was designed to show the personal thoughts, the successes, failures highs and lows of 5-6 months of quite intense training to achieve something worthwhile. As you can probably tell the frustration is coming out in this post.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to my world Stu!

    I've lost count of the times I've been frustrated by the apparent apathy of others and it's easy to get frustrated by it. I spend a huge amount of my time trying to help and encourage others to raise their game and if I'm really lucky, then *very* occasionally someone takes notice.

    I find it incredibly frustrating at times when I spend so much time and energy trying to help people achieve their real potential but find they are only prepared to to the very bare minimum they can get away with and nothing more. I just don't understand how people can feel any sense of purpose like that.

    Classic example this week wasn't it, 12 people in class Thursday night and yet only two of you actually took note of my request and followed up on it. Actually, on past experience 2/12 was a result!

    So, what's the answer? Well basically when I feel like that I ask myself a question. Do I want to be a sheep or a shepherd? Am I content to lower myself to accept the mediocrity of the masses or am I going to step up and be a leader?

    As a black belt I believe one should old themselves to a higher standard and follow the principle of Kaizen. If others don't want to do so that's their choice but I'm not going to let that bother me. If even one person benefits from my example then I've already achieved than the millions who accept mediocrity as their goal.

    Don't worry about anyone else Stu. Hold yourself to a higher standard because then at least you know you're doing the very best you can.

    -----

    "You see, in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must take action. "

    "In essence, if we want to direct our lives, we must take control of our consistent actions. It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently. "

    "The path to success is to take massive, determined action. "

    -- Tony Robbins

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think we've probably had the conversation before too how my goal for the school and my efforts to encourage people to puursue a more complete goal of personal development is largely about the collective power of being able to surround yourself with a really positive peer group.

    We saw the first inkling of that in that first challenge quarter when people really started to get involved and were on the forum a lot encouraging each other and really getting into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry that I've not been following until now. I've just been overwhelmed (and still am) by the enormity of the dissertation that lies ahead of me. However, I've had some time tonight waiting for things to process in Excel ... perhaps I should have been reading my books, but hey!

    ReplyDelete