Wednesday 18 April 2012

Fair and Foul

Today I made the decision that I would change the running routine a bit and decided to do my run after work, I duly got back just after 5pm, slurped down a gel pack, got changed and limbered up. As is usual at this time of year it started raining, and didn't stop until a few hundred yards from home.

The run was very different, I felt slightly more relaxed, my muscles felt a bit looser and I did find initially that the bracing wind and rain seemed to help me keep a pretty good pace, however as the run progressed the rain got heavier, the wind got colder and stronger and by the halfway point it was starting to impact on the running a bit.

Changing the routine was important as sometimes over familiarity can breed complacency, but more importantly all the runs I've done seem to have been in great conditions so having a completely different set of environmentals and even a different time of day prevents the muscles from getting 'used' to what you are doing.

I got in very cold, soaking wet, tired but pleased that I had done it and also surprised that my time hadn't been adversely effected.

I of course had a shower but have just had to jump in the bath to thaw out my frozen feet and joints!

I'm going to take the phys easy for the rest of the week as I have a 14 mile team walk in Brecon in Wales on Sunday and that's also going to bad cold and wet!

No comments:

Post a Comment